Philadelphia Slip And Fall Accidents
A “slip and fall” case typically falls under the legal category of premises liability. Such cases revolve around injuries sustained due to some dangerous condition on a commercial or residential property. Slip and fall accidents occur all the time in Philadelphia. In fact, according to the National Floor Safety Institute, there were over 1 million hospital emergency room visits because of a slip and fall accident last year. There are many locations in Philadelphia that have treacherous conditions when it freezes in the winter, such as Old City, Chestnut Street, and Market Street. Most slip and fall accidents, however, occur on commercial properties.
Common Locations For Philadelphia Slip And Fall Accidents
As a Philadelphia based law firm, our lawyers only handle slip and fall cases. Over the years, we’ve seen just about every type of slip and fall accident you can imagine, from minor trips on uneven pavement to major falls on ice-covered sidewalks. Here is a list of the most common places that slip and fall accidents occur in Philadelphia:
- Sidewalks during wet or icy conditions, especially in Old City and Center City Philadelphia
- On the property of the City of Philadelphia like courhouses, tax offices and other municipal buildings
- In supermarkets and stores around Philadelphia
- In apartment buildings with common areas and in private residential spaces
- In shopping mall and commercial building escalators and elevators
- In gyms, health clubs, spas, and other fitness facilities
Common Injuries From Slip And Fall Accidents
Every slip and fall accident is different. Likewise, the injuries that our clients have sustained in these accidents run the gamut, from whiplash-type neck injuries to bone bruises. These are some common injuries we have seen from our clients over the years:
- Permanent spinal cord injuries
- Back problems
- Neck pain
- Broken bones such as wrists, hands, fingers, elbows etc.
- Brain injury
- Scarring and lacerations
- Torn ligaments
- Severe head injuries
What Can You Recover In A Slip And Fall Case?
Since each case is unique, it’s important to look at the facts of your accident before judging how much compensation may be available. There are a variety of “damages” – forms of financial loss – for which you can be compensated in a slip and fall lawsuit:
- Pain and suffering – past, current, and future
- Medical Expenses
- Loss of earnings
- Exemplary or punitive damages – these are awarded in cases where the property owner acted with gross negligence.
Complete the form below and we will reach out to set up a time to discuss your case.