A Closer Look at Juniata, PA
The following feature on the neighborhood’s history has been brought to you by the slip and fall lawyers in Juniata, PA, at Philly Slip And Fall Guys.
The neighborhood of Juniata is situated in the eastern section of North Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. The working-class community is just south of Tacony Creek Park. Other nearby communities include Frankford, Feltonville, Harrowgate, and Port Richmond. East Luzerne Street cuts through the center of the neighborhood along with Whitaker Avenue and East Erie Avenue.
The area was mostly farmland before the 1920s. The development of row houses began in the mid-1920s, and growth took off by the 1950s. Some of the notable developments include:
- Elevated train stops allow the Market–Frankford Line to stop within the community at the Erie-Torresdale Station, located at Erie Avenue and Torresdale Avenue.
- In July 1934, the neighborhood’s community newspaper, The Juniata News, was first published.
- The majority of the retail and commercial businesses are located along Hunting Park, Castor, and Erie Avenues.
- The Carl Mackley Houses, now community apartments, were first constructed in 1935 on the blocks bounded by Castor Avenue, Bristol Street, M Street, and Cayuga Street.
Just to the north of the area is the Juniata Park and Golf Club. Architect Edmund Ault designed the course. It was established in 1923 and sits on 106 acres. On the site is the Boy and Girls Club, highlighted by the organization Juniata Treasure.
The public schools are part of the School District of Philadelphia. Some of the schools the residents can enroll their children, include:
- One Bright Ray Community High School
- Hopkinson Elementary School – built in 1926, this school was named after a founding father, Francis Hopkinson.
- Holy Innocents Area Catholic Elementary Catholic School
- Juniata Park Academy
- Saint Lucy Day School – for children that have visual impairments
- Archbishop Ryan Academy for the Deaf
- Community Academy of Philadelphia CS
The community is home to approximately 13,617 residents. It has a large German-American population, and many German and Jewish bakeries and grocery stores can be founding the neighborhood. The community racial count included the following in 2010:
- 59.6% Hispanic and Latino
- 18.1% White
- 14.5% Black and African American
- 7.7% Asian
Initially, the area was a working-class Irish American community, but over the past twenty years, the area has transitioned to a predominantly middle-class Puerto Rican and Dominican neighborhood.
Follow along for more fun details on the area: The Early History of North Philadelphia, PA
Our Local Office
The Juniata, PA, slip, and fall lawyers at Philly Slip And Fall Guys provide injured victims the legal representation they need to get the maximum compensation they deserve. Call today to schedule a free evaluation if you have suffered an injury due to a slip and fall.
Philly Slip And Fall Guys
1617 John F Kennedy Blvd #355,
Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA